How To Get Rid Of Heartburn Symptoms
When you’re looking for fast relief, there are a few different options available at your local pharmacy. These medications work in different ways to affect your stomach acid. While some acid is necessary for digestion, too much can lead to problems like heartburn1.
Over-the-Counter Heartburn Medication
There are three main types of heartburn medications that you can get without a prescription2:
- For fast relief- Antacids start to work in seconds¹ to neutralize stomach acid, making your stomach contents less acidic and reducing the chances that acidic liquid will leak into your esophagus (the muscular tube that connects your mouth and stomach).
- H2 blockers start to work in minutes² and prevent cells in the stomach from producing high levels of stomach acid.
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) halt almost all production of stomach acid. But, not intended for immediate relief. Can take up to 1-4 days for full effect.
¹ Starts to neutralize acid on contact
² Starts to relieve heartburn in 15-30 minutes
PEPCID COMPLETE® contains both an antacid (calcium carbonate) and an H2 blocker (famotidine). These ingredients work together to help stop heartburn on multiple levels. 1 tablet starts working in seconds and lasts all day*.
*Based on 8-hour symptom relief studies during the day.
How Can You Prevent Heartburn?
Sometimes, you can stop heartburn before it even starts. Medications, diet alterations, and lifestyle changes can all help.
If you’re getting ready to eat a meal and are worried about heartburn, take Maximum Strength PEPCID AC®. This H2 blocker prevents heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach brought on by eating or drinking certain foods or beverages. Just take one tablet with water 10 to 60 minutes before eating.
Making changes to your diet can help prevent heartburn. Click here to learn about substitutions for common trigger foods as well as simple changes to your eating habits, you can get back to enjoying your meals.
Home Remedies and Tips
Heartburn symptoms are common but can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. Click here to find home remedies to help find symptom relief.
Although diet changes and home remedies can go a long way in heartburn prevention, it’s not always enough. Try PEPCID® – the #1 doctor recommended acid reducer brand. PEPCID® products start working in minutes and can ease symptoms day or night.
- 1How Does the Stomach Work? InformedHealth.org. Updated August 21, 2016. Accessed December 16, 2021.
- 2Heartburn. MedlinePlus. Reviewed January 14, 2021. Accessed December 14, 2021.