PEPCID® is a Histamine-2 blocker (H2 blocker) with the active ingredient famotidine. Famotidine helps relieve heartburn by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach.
PEPCID® offers three main products that provide heartburn relief that you can take whenever you need. Original Strength PEPCID AC® and Maximum Strength PEPCID AC® contain an H2 blocker that begins to work in 15 minutes and helps control acid all day or all night.* PEPCID Complete® combines an H2 Blocker with an antacid that starts neutralizing acid in seconds, so it works even faster. Because the faster it starts relieving heartburn, the better.
SEE HOW PEPCID® IS DIFFERENT THAN OTHER HEARTBURN MEDICATIONS
- Neutralizes the existing stomach acid
- Doesn’t stop your stomach from making more acid
- Starts working in seconds
- May last 20-30 minutes per dose
ABOUT H2 blockers (Pepcid®)
- Lowers the amount of acid your stomach produces
- Blocks the histamine receptors in your stomach that are responsible for triggering acid production.
- Starts to work in 15 minutes
- Lasts all day or all night*
About proton pump inhibitors (ppis)
- Works by shutting down pumps that release acid into your stomach
- Not intended for immediate relief
- May take 1-4 days to become fully effective
- Requires a daily dosing regimen
*Based on 9 hour acid control studies during the day and 12 hour acid control studies during the night. Acid control does not imply symptom relief.”*